International Groups Sending 70,000 Doses of Ebola Vaccine to Congo

Date:

A doctor at an Ebola treatment center in Bunia, Congo, on July 13, 2026. Benediction Murhabazi/AFP via Getty ImagesThe World Health Organization (WHO) and partners are sending 70,000 doses of an Ebola vaccine to Congo, filling a request from the central African country that is dealing with the second-deadliest Ebola outbreak in history.Merck’s Ervebo, the Ebola vaccine, is cleared for use against Ebola caused by the Zaire ebolavirus. Congo’s growing Ebola outbreak is caused by the Bundibugyo ebolavirus, for which no vaccines are approved.Congo requested doses of Ervebo, and the International Coordinating Group on Vaccine Provision, a coalition of four groups that stockpiles and offers vaccines upon request, approved an initial release of 70,000 doses, according to the WHO, one of the groups.WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said in a statement that the approval was “an important example of global solidarity in action.”Some 20,000 doses will go to a previously announced phase 3 clinical trial that will assess the efficacy of the vaccine against the Bundibugyo virus. The rest will be for frontline and health workers.It’s not clear whether Ervebo works against the Bundibugyo virus, the WHO noted, although preliminary laboratory and animal data “suggest it may provide some protection.”“It is key that the people offered the vaccine, in the trial and otherwise, receive information of the risks, potential benefits and limitations related to the use of the vaccine in an outbreak of Bundibugyo virus and are able to provide informed consent,” the WHO stated.The other coordinating group members are Doctors Without Borders, the Red Cross, and the United Nations Children’s Fund.The International Coordinating Group stockpiles vaccines and releases them to countries facing epidemics, provided the requests meet certain criteria, according to its website. For approved requests, the target is to deliver doses within 10 days.The Ebola outbreak in Congo was detected in mid-May. The outbreak started earlier. A delay in detection stemmed from initial testing being unable to identify the Bundibugyo virus, authorities have said.A hygiene worker cleans the boots of healthcare workers at the Rwampara Ebola Treatment Center (ETC) in Bunia, Ituri, in the east of the Democratic Republic of Congo on July 13, 2026. Benediction Murhabazi/AFP via Getty ImagesThe outbreak to date has caused 5,208 confirmed cases and 2,476 deaths, Congo officials said on Wednesday. That means the case fatality rate, the percentage of patients with confirmed cases who have died, is 47.5 percent.“The response is being strengthened, notably through vaccination with ERVEBO and intensified surveillance and case management in the affected areas,” Congo’s Ministry of Communication and Media said in a post on X.Healthcare workers celebrate with survivors of Ebola virus disease as they leave hospital, after being declared cured, in Ituri, eastern DRC, at the Ebola Treatment Center (CTE) of the Evangelical Medical Center (CME) on June 23, 2026. Benediction Murhabazi/AFP via Getty ImagesOnly Congo has recently reported Ebola cases in the outbreak.Congo has never dealt with a deadlier outbreak of Ebola. The deadliest Ebola outbreak in world history took place in West Africa from 2014 to 2016, killing more than 11,000 people.

spot_imgspot_imgspot_img

Share post:

More like this
Related

Australia Passes Law Forcing Big Tech to Pay 2.75 Percent on Revenue for News

The federal government’s revamped News Bargaining Incentive has passed...

Minerals Council Vows to Fight Victorian Mining Fee Rises of Up to 400 Percent

Victorian Energy and Resources Minister Jaclyn Symes. She previously...

Ambassador Says Israel Grieves Over Aid Workers Death After IDF Findings

Israel’s Ambassador to Australia, Hillel Newman, has acknowledged that...

Evergrande Founder Sentenced to Life in Prison by Chinese Regime

The founder of China Evergrande Group, Xu Jiayin, was...