Carlos Alcaraz Set to Return to US Open After 4-Month Wrist Injury

Date:

Carlos Alcaraz, of Spain, reacts after defeating Novak Djokovic, of Serbia, during the men’s singles semifinals of the U.S. Open tennis championships in New York City on Sept. 5, 2025. Kirsty Wigglesworth/AP PhotoSeven-time Grand Slam winner Carlos Alcaraz will make his return at the U.S. Open after being sidelined for four months by a right wrist injury.“Here we go,” the two-time and reigning U.S. Open champion said in an Instagram video announcing the decision.After missing a chance to defend back-to-back French Open titles at Roland-Garros and challenge Italy’s Jannik Sinner at Wimbledon, the 23-year-old Spaniard will be back in New York City, where he won his first Grand Slam in 2022.Alcaraz defeated Sinner in four sets at last year’s U.S. Open to cap off a dominant tournament where he only dropped a single set.It was the third consecutive Grand Slam final in which the young superstars faced off and helped Alcaraz eventually secure the year end No. 1 ranking.He continued his momentum at this year’s Australian Open, beating Alexander Zverev in the semifinal after five-and-a-half hours and down two sets, then outlasting Novak Djokovic in the final.The win made Alcaraz the youngest to ever complete a career Grand Slam—winning all four Grand Slams in a career.Injury in BarcelonaA couple of months later, the Spaniard suffered a wrist injury during the Barcelona Open and withdrew from the tournament when he was slated to play Tomas Machac in the round of 16.Just a few days prior, Alcaraz lost his No. 1 ranking to Sinner after losing to the Italian in the finals at Monte Carlo. Alcaraz has since maintained his No. 2 ranking despite his four-month absence.There was speculation on when, or even if, Alcaraz would return during the North American hard-court swing.A couple of weeks ago, he withdrew from the Cincinnati Open and lost an opportunity to defend his title there.US Open PreviewNo man since 2008 has defended his title at the U.S. Open, which will run from Aug. 30 to Sept. 13.With Alcaraz’s announcement, fans are still awaiting confirmation on whether Sinner, who turned 25 on Aug. 16, will participate with a knee injury that has kept him out of tournaments since he won Wimbledon last month.“My right knee has been bothering me and even though we have been working hard with my medical team, I have to accept that I’m not ready to compete yet,” Sinner said after withdrawing from the Cincinnati Open in a statement released by tournament officials. “I can’t wait to be back next year and I’m now focusing on getting ready for the U.S. Open.”Sinner, who won the U.S. Open in 2024 with a straight-set victory over American Taylor Fritz, would enter the tournament as a favorite, if he plays.Four-time champ Djokovic, who lost in straight-sets to Alcaraz in last year’s semifinals, is set to compete in New York despite health concerns during a second round upset in Cincinnati.The U.S. Open draw will be released on Aug. 27, tournament officials said.The Associated Press contributed to this report.

spot_imgspot_imgspot_img

Share post:

More like this
Related

Taiwan Proposes $35 Billion in Defense Spending as Drone Funding Fight Continues

The Taiwanese Cabinet on Aug. 20 proposed about $35.2...

State Department OKs Possible $4.5 Billion Military Refueling Aircraft Sale to Qatar

An artist's rendering of a KC-46A refueling F-16 Fighting...

Chinese Unitree Founder Drew on US-Funded Robot Research

U.S. defense agencies funded openly published research by American...

A Tale of 2 Straits: Global Shippers Prefer Washingtons Version Over Tehrans

With the Aug. 17 expiration of the 60-day memorandum...