New Zealand Cuts Millions in Funding to Cook Islands Over China Ties

Date:

AD

New Zealand Foreign Minister Winston Peters said the island nation needs to take ‘concrete steps to repair the relationship and restore trust.’

New Zealand Cuts Millions in Funding to Cook Islands Over China Ties

New zealand Foreign Minister Winston Peters speaks to media at Parliament in Wellington, New Zealand, on Jan. 28, 2025. Hagen Hopkins/Getty Images

Owen Evans

|Updated:

New Zealand has cut millions of dollars in funding to the Cook Islands due to the island group’s deepening ties with China.

A spokesperson for New Zealand Foreign Minister Winston Peters said in a statement on June 18 that New Zealand had decided earlier this month to suspend payment of NZ$18.2 million ($11 million) in development funding for 2025–26 as this “relies on a high trust bilateral relationship.”

spot_imgspot_imgspot_img

Share post:

More like this
Related

Seoul, Tokyo Boost LNG, Crude Oil Cooperation Amid Supply Concerns

Japanese Prime Minister Sanae Takaichi (R) shakes hands with...

African Officials Say US Ebola-Related Restrictions Unnecessary

A border health officer at the Busunga crossing between...

DOJ Drops Biden-Era Indictment Against Adani Subsidiary

Indian billionaire Gautam Adani speaks during an inauguration ceremony...

Hungarys New Government Starts Adhering to EU Positions on Social Issues

Peter Magyar, leader of the opposition Tisza party who...