Victorian Premier Ben Carroll has released the details of the long-awaited Royal Commission into the Big Build.The Big Build is the state’s multi-billion-dollar infrastructure program encompassing over 180 major road, rail, and tunnel projects designed to ease congestion and support population growth.The agenda has faced widespread criticism, including allegations of organised crime, rorts, $15 billion in cost blowouts, ghost shifts, and Construction Forestry & Maritime Employees Union (CFMEU) corruption.Carroll replaced Jacinta Allan in July, promising to launch the commission on his first day in office. He has sought to distance himself from the former premier by announcing the very inquiry she refused to establish while in office.A key question surrounding the commission was whether it would interview former Ministers and senior officials. However, Carroll opted not to release a list of names.Instead, he will leave it up to the Royal Commissioner, not the government, to determine who is called before the inquiry.Chris Kourakis, a former Chief Justice of the Supreme Court of South Australia, will lead the commission as the Royal Commissioner.“If he wants to hear from Ministers, former Ministers, senior officials, union leaders, or company executives, he has the power to call them,” Carroll said.Nothing Off LimitsCarroll said the terms of reference were broad and expansive, with nothing off limits.“They cover the conduct of the CFMEU, construction companies, labour hire firms, consortia, and criminal actors on Victoria’s major projects,” Carroll said.“And they cover the role of government; the executive, government departments, and delivery agencies in overseeing the projects.“Critically, the terms of reference make it a matter for the Commissioner to decide whose actions and whose knowledge are relevant to the matters under investigation.”The commission will cost taxpayers up to $50 million and is expected to report within 12 months.“It will follow the money, examine the systems that were exploited, and tell us plainly what went wrong and what must change,” he said.“Victorians should not have to wait years for answers. It will be thorough and it will be timely,” Carroll said.The Royal Commission does not have the power to lay charges. To address that, the government will legislate in September to create an Office of Special Prosecutor with its own prosecution powers. Carroll said he woudl take advice from the commissioner on the appointment.The government will also expand IBAC’s powers, including “follow the money” capabilities and a broader definition of corrupt conduct.Carroll became premier on July 28 after Jacinta Allan’s resignation and immediately promised the commission. He previously served as Minister for Public Transport and Minister for Worksafe.Former Premier Allan held the transport infrastructure portfolio during the period of the major alleged Big Build cost blowouts.Opposition Promises a ‘Proper Royal Commission’ The Victorian Opposition been long called for a Royal Commission and released a list of suggested witnesses on Aug. 2.Among the list were Premier Carroll, former premiers Jacinta Allan and Daniel Andrews, Deputy Premier Gabrielle Williams, and Minister Jaclyn Symes, along with former CFMEU Victorian secretary John Setka.Opposition Leader Jess Wilson said at least $15 billion had been lost to criminals and bikies on Big Build sites.“Victorians deserve answers, and these are the people who should be required to give them—as a starting point,” she said.Wilson also released a plan for her first 100 days in government on Aug. 10.Within it, she promised to establish a “proper Royal Commission into corruption,” provide more powers to IBAC, and establish Construction Enforcement Victoria.
It Will Follow the Money: Carroll Unveils Big Build Royal Commission
Date:






