New Zealand Cuts Millions in Funding to Cook Islands Over China Ties

Date:

AD

New Zealand Foreign Minister Winston Peters said the island nation needs to take ‘concrete steps to repair the relationship and restore trust.’

New Zealand Cuts Millions in Funding to Cook Islands Over China Ties

New zealand Foreign Minister Winston Peters speaks to media at Parliament in Wellington, New Zealand, on Jan. 28, 2025. Hagen Hopkins/Getty Images

Owen Evans

|Updated:

New Zealand has cut millions of dollars in funding to the Cook Islands due to the island group’s deepening ties with China.

A spokesperson for New Zealand Foreign Minister Winston Peters said in a statement on June 18 that New Zealand had decided earlier this month to suspend payment of NZ$18.2 million ($11 million) in development funding for 2025–26 as this “relies on a high trust bilateral relationship.”

spot_imgspot_imgspot_img

Share post:

More like this
Related

NATO would survive a US withdrawal. But what kind of alliance would it become?

As NATO counts down to its annual summit in...

Taiwan Open to Direct TrumpLai Call After USChina Summit

In this photo released by the Taiwan Presidential Office,...

Chinas Shrinking Population Is Emptying Schools and Reshaping the Education System

Students read from text books at a primary school...

Taiwans Leader Responds to Trump

President Donald Trump makes no promises to Beijing—but gives...